Saturday, September 15, 2007

Another September 11th has come and gone


This year marked the 6th Anniversary of September 11th. It fell on a Tuesday, just like it did in 2001. This year in NY, it was dreary and rainy for September 11th, very unlike the perfect weather we had on that day in 2001.

Every year I watch most, if not all, of the victims names read from ground zero. This year something different happened. My 4 1/2 year old asked me what I was doing. I did not know what to say at first, she was not born when it actually happened.

I told her that six years ago today, two of the tallest buildings in the world that were in NYC, fell down and thousands of people died. Every year they read the names of those people. She looked at me for a minute and said "So, you are never going to be able to take me to see those buildings?" I said, "No, I will never be able to-they are gone". I didn't feel the need to scare her and explain the terrorism part at 4 1/2. Sadly when the towers fell that day, one of the first thoughts in my mind was that when I had children someday, I could never take them to see those two breathtaking buildings. It's as if my daughter read my mind.

I will never forget 9/11 victims or rescuers. I will never forget where I was or what I felt that day. I still cannot bear to watch images of the planes crashing through the buildings. I will someday have to recount the story for both my daughters. It's like an unbelievable science fiction story with people running for their lives through the streets of New York City. It really happened and lives are forever changed.

No comments: