Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Dying with Dignity-The Story of Brittany Maynard


I was moved when I read the story of Brittany Maynard and her fight to end her life on her own terms and die with dignity. Watching the 6 1/2 minute video of her story is difficult. Hearing a young, vibrant girl tell us how she is choosing to die surrounded by her family is painful to watch, and I don't even know her.

Some will say she's brave, some selfish. Who am I to judge? I never had to deal with a family member with a terminal illness, so I can't imagine how difficult and painful it is to watch your loved one slip away day by day in front of your eyes and watch them suffer in the process.  I, personally, don't think I would opt for such a choice. As a mother and a daughter, I would opt to live out my days as God intended, even if death is eminent.

On Monday, Maynard launched a video campaign with Compassion & Choices, an end-of-life advocacy nonprofit, to share her story. Only six as states - Washington, Montana, Vermont, New Mexico and Oregon, have laws allowing for such assisted death.

Brittany's campaign will make more people think about dying with dignity. A young, attractive, vibrant young woman will raise awareness for this movement, it's a shame her life was derailed with a terminal cancer diagnosis. I can only send my prayers, to her and her family. May God give them the strength to face the weeks and months ahead. I hope she doesn't suffer and is at peace. It sounds as if she is at peace with her decision.

No comments: