Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sorry-here's part two of our adoption story

Sorry that a day turned into a week and a half but here is the rest of the story...

We walked into the hospital and asked for our birthmother. A nurse led us to the room and there she was holding Jenna. I was a little taken back because she originally said she would not hold her. She said she was crying and she gave her some formula. I am glad she did spend a few hours with her. I was taken back with how tiny, but beautiful Jenna was. For a baby delivered with a quik naturally delivery, she looked great. No cone head or marks on her. She was perfect. After two minutes, her birthmom said to me "Here's your daughter Mom, come and hold her!" The words I had waited to hear! We hung out with her birthmom that afternoon and all stayed in the same room with the baby.

Her best friend came by and we met him, which was nice, since she spoke so much about him. He took her home. She left the hospital less then 7 hours after giving birth. Her 6 year old daughter, who knew nothing of the pregnancy, was being dropped off by her Dad. She was such a trooper. I think it was easier on her if she left the hospital quickly. I walked with the nurse as she wheeled her downstairs. I hugged her when she got in the car and cried as I got into the elevator with the nurse. I told her I would think of her every day of my life and we were so thankful for this gift of our daughter. I cried for her, a mother leaving the hospital empty handed. I really broke down in the elevator. Here was a single mom, struggling financially, she worked, took good care of her six year old, was not a druggie or alcohol. Just a hardworking single mom who could not afford another kid. Under difference circumstances, I would have been friends with her.


She did come back to the hospital the next day with a friend who was dying to see the baby. Her friend held the baby for a while and then we asked if she did. She held Jenna like 10 seconds and started to break down. She handed her back to me and said she had to leave, it was too much for her. That is the last time she saw the baby and I think she knew it would be the last time she saw her in person for a long, long time. It was so sad.


On Tuesday, May 22nd, they released Jenna to us and we took her home from the hospital and to the hotel. My inlaws and four year old daughter came up that afternoon and Jacqueline met her little sister for the first time, it was quite a moment. She loved her from the minute she saw her. She was so ready to be a big sister.

On Thursday May 24th, we were notified that Jenna's birthmom went to court and relinquished her rights. It was the great news we had been waiting for. I heard it was incredibly hard for her at court and she did breakdown. We had more family come up Memorial Day weekend. It was nice to see family and they were so excited for us. On Tuesday, May 29th, we got a call from our attorney that ICPC clearance came through and we could leave. We called our birthmom and told her and she came to our hotel to say goodbye. I met her daugther and she met our older daughter in person. We had bought her and her daughter a few gifts.
We left right after that and headed home. We got home 10 pm that night, but were so happy to be home. We felt so lucky for how smoothly everything went and how fortunate we are in general. We are now a family of four! I an still in shock!

4 comments:

Colette said...

Thanks for sharing your story...Jenna's story! I am getting very emotional, thinking about our birth mother and her feelings. Our Birth mother is like yours...very responsible, just can't afford another child. It is sad, but I thank god she is chosing adoption for our baby and for yours! God Bless

KRISTI said...

Oh what a beautiful story. I also got emotional for our birthmother while reading your story.

Through both of our adoptions, the hardest thing for me to do was to leave teh birthmother in her hospital room with no baby.

Thank goodness for our birthmothers!

Not Betty Crocker said...

I just checked your blog and saw your good news! Congratulations on your beautiful new daughter.

Lila

Denise :o) said...

What a great story! Your girls are beautiful. Congratulations!!! :o)