Saturday, October 13, 2007

My Immortal

I love the song My Immortal by Evanescence. My older daughter has been signing it since she was three. I just heard it on the radio and I turned it up. I have not heard it in such a long time, I enjoyed it. It always brings a tear to my eyes, it goes back to the first time I heard the song.

I was at my best friend's daughter's dance receital in June 2006. We were sitting front and center and there were about 25 dances with girls ranging for 7 to 18 years old. They announced that these two sisters were going to dance (a balance) this song together in memory of their mother who recently passed away from cancer. The girls had been taking dance lessons at the same dance studio for about 15 years and the school knew their Mom very well. The song came on and I was intrigued. Two girls danced alone, they were teenagers. You could tell they were emotional, and less then a minute into the song, they were crying tears for their mother. We were sitting so close, it's like we were right there. I started crying just watching them. I don't know if it was the words of the song or the circumstance, or a combination. The thought of teen girls losing their mother who probably suffered, just got to me. I wouldn't want to pass away like that and miss out on the rest of my girls lives.

They kept on dancing and like professionals, in memory of their mother, completed the dance flawlessly. Then you heard them really sob. Half the audience was crying. It was the first time I ever heard the song and the 100 times I have heard it since, that memory of the two sisters dancing still pops into my mind. I have tried to think of the words and what they mean, and I still can't figure out if the words are the mother speaking to the daughters or the daughters talking to the mother.

A beautiful song that still intrigues me....

No comments: