Sunday, October 28, 2007

Why I love Halloween time!

I love Halloween. I had many happy Halloweens when I was a child, that could be part of the reason. We would dress up in the flame retardant costume my mother bought us at Woolworth's and head out for some treats. In the Bronx in the 1970's, almost everyone's mom was home when they got home from school, so you could start trick or treating right away-no waiting until 5 or 6PM like now. We'd have bags SO FULL of candy we literally could not carry them. We could eat candy for weeks! After my mother checked all the candy of course! We went to Catholic School and we always got November 1st off for All Saints Day! That was the best!

When I got older, I gave up trick or treating, but took a liking to Halloween movies. To me the classics are Halloween, Rosemary's Baby, Audrey Rose, Psycho, The Exorcist, Poltergeist, The Amityville Horror, Nightmare on Elm Street and Carrie. They were eerie/scary not like the horror movies now that are just downright gory. I know a lot of people like movies like Saw, but that's just gore to me. I love seeing those movies now. So much better when they are on TV then if I rented them! I saw them dozens of times, I know what's going to happen, but still it gives me the chills! I also love the few Halloween cartoons that would be on faithfully every October-with my favorite being "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" which I own on DVD. I vaguely remember a Fat Albert Special and a Bugs Bunny Halloween show.

Halloween will always be a happy time of year for me. I just hope my kids enjoy Halloween as much as I did! It's one of the highlights of being a kid!

No comments: