Saturday, March 08, 2008

What's happening to Ebay???

Ebay is undergoing a lot of changes-not all for the better either! On February 20th, they revamped their auction fees. Charging you less to list, but more if you item sells. I guess it makes it less risky for little sellers like me to list items for sale. But for companies who sell high priced items, it's time to get out!

Portero.com is a local company that sells high end used items-we're talking mink coats, diamonds and even yahts! They have been selling on ebay for years with over 10,000 positive feedback. I went to see what they had for sale and they are no longer selling on ebay. They haven't sold anything there in a month from what I can tell. I went to their site and they are running auctions right from their site, so no more fees to ebay! I can't say I blame them. They were probably selling tens of thousands of dollars worth of items a week. The final fee values were adding up. I don't know if they are getting the exposure they did on ebay, but there stuff is still selling consistently.

I then went to check a few more of my favorite sellers and they either had nothing to sell, or had changed their name. It sounds like, with the price structure changes, a lot of people don't want to sell on ebay. There are not many choices. Other auction sites may be free or lower cost, but you don't get the traffic and volume of ebay.
I loved Yahoo auctions and then it closed this summer. There is definitely a need for a major auction site to replace the ailing and failing ebay.

Just wait-in May some major feedback changes are coming that has everyone in an uproar. Sellers can't leave buyers any feedback but positive! Gee that sounds fair. I sell something, you buy it and never pay me and I have to leave postive feedback??
Someone needs to fix Ebay soon, before it tanks!!!

No comments: