Saturday, September 20, 2014

A Hello from my Grandpa


Many things happened since I took a long hiatus from my blog. On July 2, 2012, my grandpa passed away at the age of 95. I was very close to him and although he lived a long, relatively happy and healthy life, I was quite upset when he passed away after a brief illness.

As the oldest grandchild, I would like to think I was special-actually, I know I was. He was excited about my academic and athletic achievements when I was young. When I decided to start my masters in the fall of 2011, we was excited and often asked how I was doing in school. I think in his heart he would have liked to have known I graduated, as he knew physically attending a graduation would have been difficult.

On a few occasions since he passed away,  I have felt his presence. Twice I felt hands on my shoulders and nobody was in the room and once I smelled the distinct smell of his cigar. I believe those who were close to us who pass on, are around and know what's going on with our lives. I love watching The Long Island Medium and love Theresa Caputo. I now watch a new show called Angels Among Us and believe in Rosie Cepero's gift of communicating with angels. 

Fast forward to today. My 11 year old's room is being painted and we are getting rid of her furniture as we ordered new furniture. Her furniture was my old furniture when I was a teenager up until I was 23 years old and got married. Somehow, when we were cleaning out the dresser, my daughter found this photo of her great grandpa, who she called "Papa Tony". It's him wearing my high school graduation cap and gown in 1987. I never saw this photo, and have no idea it was there all this time, but was so happy to find it today and see his smiling face. It was a hello from my grandpa. After thinking about it, I truly believe this is a message, not only that he knows what I am up to in my life, but that he was with me at graduation. He wanted me to know that he did "see" me graduate that day. As I walked in the procession, I felt his presence with me-this just confirms it. 

Thank you grandpa for giving me a message, so nice to see your smiling face circa 1987!

No comments: