Thursday, September 11, 2014

It's 9-11 again

It's 9-11 again. Another 365 days have passed and since we last commemorated the day. It's been 13 years since our nation was attacked and thousands of innocent people died-our lives forever changed.

No matter how many times I view the images from 9-11-2011, it never gets easier. I tried again today and I cried.

No matter how many times I hear the reading of the names, I get choked up. Particularly when loved ones read a name and add something like "I love you daddy and think of you every day!" Some of these kids were babies when their parents perished. They never truly knew them. 

Just as my parent's generation will always remember exactly where they were and exactly what they were doing when they heard John F. Kennedy had been killed, my generation will always remember exactly what they doing, where they were and who they were with when they heard about the attacks on the twin towers. 

As a kid growing up in the Throggs Neck section of the Bronx, I walked over the overpass on E. Tremont Ave and could see the twin towers in the distance, standing so proud and tall. They were always there to greet me, although hard to see on cloudy and foggy days. I always thought that when I was a mom, someday, when my kids were old enough, I would take them there to see the towers. I thought they would ALWAYS be there. I never had the chance to do that.

Despite the sadness that looms, particularly in the NYC metropolitan area where I live, I always look at today as a day of hope, promise, heroism and triumph. Today, the sun came out towards the end of the day in the NYC metro area. It was gray most of the day, at one point there was light rain, when God shed some tears for the victims of 9-11. Now the sun is shining-it must be the light from those precious souls in heaven telling us they are all OK and we should not live in life in darkness because of this tragedy.

No comments: