Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Devastation is the word

Yes devastation is the word. My supposed best friend just picked someone else to be her daughter's Godmother and I found out today after asking her-the Baptism is three weeks away-hello! The baby I love so much, the friend I did everything for, the couple I was Matron of Honor for just two years ago. The woman I have known since 1998. The person I helped get a job at IBM. She knew I would be devastated by picking the other friend, but she did it anyway. She spared telling me the day I had my last miscarriage. Thanks for small favors. She's like a sister to me. She talks to me on the phone every single day telling me every detail of her life but yet she fails to mention it to me that I am not the Godmother. Tells me to give her my summer schedule, wants to see what weekends I am available so she can plan it. Gave me false hope. I am a good catholic, never slept around and go to church every week.

I guess I am upset because this person she picked is an old friend of hers who decided to become the number one friend. How I don't know. If she picked a good devoted friend, I'd be OK with it.

This person who will be the Godmother is not someone I think is a good catholic or example, let's just leave it at that. She's done things to hurt my friend in the past. My friend doesn't trust her and told that to me two months ago.

Am I crazy to be devastated??? What did I do to deserve the diss? I paid for her bridal shower in a restuarant-ca ching! I treated her to broadway plays, bought her great gifts, watched her kids, gave her rides, helped with parties, taught her how to ebay, etc. I did everything a friend could ever do for a friend. EVERYTHING. Now me and best friend are fighting and it will probably be the end of the friendship. She knew it would lead to this and she still did it. She did not even prepare me. It was going to be some big surprise. She avoided telling me the truth. I hate the dishonesty part of it.

I cannot even begin to explain how hurt I feel. I want to die. Am I crazy or do I have a right to be hurt?

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Okay. I can completely understand this one! I asked my sister closest in age (I'm the oldest of 5 - Donielle is #3) to be Emma's godmother. It was wonderful. When she got pregnant shortly after Ally was born, I guess I expected that she would ask me to be her baby's godmother. Nope. Nada. Nothing. She told my other sisters (there are two younger than her - my brother is #2). I didn't blog about this because she was reading my blog at the time (she no longer seems to). Anyway, I had to find out from Meridith (sister #2) and she felt like she was in the middle. I was deeply in my post-partum depression and anxiety at the time. That didn't help. I ended up calling her and asking her point blank why she didn't at least have the courtesy to tell me to my face. She used the excuse that she didn't know "baptism etiquette." Whatever! I never got a baby shower from my sisters because she claimed she didn't know what one was until she got pregnant. A 27 year old not knowing about baby showers? Another whatever. Let's just say that she surely had her shower. My sisters did throw a beautiful baptism party for Ally, but that's not the same. Anyway... I have forgiven her for at least not telling me. My husband wasn't surprised at all. She always makes sure she gets her way. I love her, but I'm keeping my distance at the same time. I hope that in the end things work out better for you and your friend.