Saturday, June 14, 2008

Prom night on Friday the 13th???

It sounds like a recipe for a teen horror movie! Last night was a beautiful June night here and one of our local high schools was having their prom. As I navigated the local streets with my kids in tow, I saw groups of teens dressed in tuxedos and beautiful dresses posing for pictures on suburban lawns. I can't even imagine what these parents spent on limos, prom tickets, dresses, makeup, hair, tuxes, etc. It was so nice to see though. To be 18 again! I got a bit teary eyed.

It was 21 years ago (yipes!) that I went to my senior prom with my husband-who was then my boyfriend of four months! I told my oldest daughter how grandma and I went to a bridal store months before to pick out the electric blue dress I would wear and I had shoes and a purse dyed to match! How my hair and makeup were done just so and how my friends and I all rented a limo and were so excited. I told my daughter that her Dad was a great prom date. Although he wasn't into dancing much, he did take me to NYC for a horse and carriage ride in Central Park and then to a comedy club. We came home the next morning, exhausted, but happy!

I can't wait until my girls are old enough to go to the prom! They can go to more than one each! I don't care what it costs. As the mother of two girls, I have the thrill of picking out the dress and the jewelry and getting caught up in all the prom hoopla! It's one of those moments that mothers of daughters live for! I can just picture my girls looking stunning all dressed up-perfect ladies.
The way the years fly by, that day will come before I know it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!?!... came home the next day exhausted?... I had to be home by midnight my SENIOR prom.

I always thought my parents were too strick.... now that I have two girls of my own... I will encourage them to go 'Stag'... Hopefully that will be 'cool' by then... hee hee....