Friday, October 06, 2006

I have a new set of eyes...

No, I did not get new glasses or contacts. By virtue of being a mother, I got a new set of eyes and now have the ability to see things in a different perspective than ever before.

For example-I used to watch the movie Beaches and cry my eyes out. Why was I crying 15 years ago? Because I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a best friend like that at a young age. Why do I cry now? Because Whitney's little 6 or 7 year old daughter has to live the left of her life without a mother. I cry harder now than I used to. It really gets to me.

Same thing with Steel Magnolias. I used to cry when Shelby told her mother she was not supportive of her being pregnant. It made her so upset. Now I cry watching her mother at the cemetery carrying on, knowing a daughter is not supposed to go before her mother. How she was the first person to see her daughter come into the world and the last person to be with her when she left it. I now cry for the little boy she left behind who would live the rest of his life without a mother.

I think of lots of things differently than I used to. It's like my whole perception has changed and I am fine with the changes. It makes me feel like a real mother and that I was meant to be a mother. Some women never are able to break out of their selfish thinking. Luckily this new set of eyes works perfectly!! I guess I can call them Mommy eyes!!

No comments: