Saturday, October 21, 2006

Searchng for those who adopted privately

I'm hoping someone reads this and may be able to help me out. If anyone has adopted a baby privately (through an attorney), I have questions about advertising. We're not there yet, but I am gathering as much info as possible.

My friends adopted 10 years ago when the internet was not so widely used. I plan on posting our profile to a few key sites, but would still like to advertise in newspapers for a birthmom. I would like to advertise in a 200-300 mile radius from our home to start and then spread out to some key areas like the south and Arizona (highest rate of teen pregnancy in the US). Advertising is daily newspapers is very expensive, but some people say more people read those classifieds. Advertising in penny saver type weekly papers is much cheaper, so I could afford more advertising. Has anyone had experience with newspaper ads for adoption? Did you find weeklies or dailies to produce better results. I know people do look at pennysavers for tag sales and used cars, but will they find an adoption ad. If I go with a daily paper, how any days do I run the ad for??

If anyone has some advertising advice when it comes to private adoption, I would be very very interested to hear what worked for you, what year, how much you spent on advertising, etc.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog!

I adopted out my child in a private adoption setting myself. I was lucky enough to have family adopting, but as we found out word of mouth can really travel. The day before I was scheduled to be induced, my grandmother told several people in town about what was happening to me. By the end of the day we had 3 more options of adoptive parents.

Definately advertise other places but get the word out that you're seriously looking for a birth mother as well! Sometimes it can work better than you think.

la chic! said...

thanks for stopping by my blog! sorry that I don't know anything about adoption, but if I hear anything, I'll be sure to drop by and spread the word!

Denise :o) said...

Another suggestion is to send a letter to all of your local OB/GYN's, explaining your situation. They have patients all the time who are looking to give their children to adoption and if you let them know you are looking you'll be in their mind. That's sort of how we found out about an opportunity to adopt twin girls in our town. The woman's aunt used the doctor next door to the doctor I worked for. He knew we had been ttc for years and asked if we'd be willing to adopt the girls. Unfortunately it didn't work out for us because the timing just wasn't right, but it's amazing what word of mouth in the OB/GYN arena can bring too. Good luck!!