Monday, August 27, 2007

August 25th

Let me tell you about August 25th. In 1987, 20 years ago, my family packed up the car and headed north to Oneonta, NY. They were bringing me to college at SUNY Oneonta where I was starting as a freshman. The car ride was tense, my boyfriend (now husband) came at 5 or 6AM to say a tearful goodbye. We had been dating for exactly 6 months. The ride was quiet. I was doing OK until, until my sister commented that I had not cried about Jerry throughout the ride-then I started to bawl. We did get a laugh when we stopped for breakfast at the Roscoe Diner. My mother ordered two LARGE eggs, just the way she said it made us burst into laughter and still does to this day. I went on to meet three of my best friends that first week on college, right in good old Golding Hall.

Fast forward to 2006-August 25th, 2006 was supposed to be a good day. It was the day we had planned for me to have a c-section to deliver our 2nd baby. I miscarried at 9 1/2 weeks and that day turned into a very somber day for me last year. I found out the baby would have been a girl, but succumed to Turner's sydrome early in the pregnancy in spite of having seen a healthy heartbeat a 7 weeks. We were on vacation that week last year, but still, my thoughts that August 25th were on what could have been.

It's 2007 now, 20 years since I was a Freshman at Oneonta State. My best friends that I met that first week are still in close contact with me. We spent this August 25th at my cousin's wedding. It was a hot day, but a happy day to celebrate with family. I still remember what August 25th means to me-the good and the bad. This year has been good to us and I was happily showing off pictures of my two girls at the wedding.

August 25th will always have meaning though-that I can't deny...

No comments: