Saturday, August 11, 2007

First update to our birthmom

I will be sending out an update and pictures in two weeks to our daughter's birthmom. It's our first update. I like her a lot and feel totally comfortable updating her. I have a few pictures picked out that I will send. I am waiting for some pictures to come back from Sears, which we had taken last week.

Some family and friend shake their head like it's a bad thing that I will be sending pictures and a letter. I don't think of it that way at all. I think it will reassure her that the baby is doing fine and that she did make a good decision placing her with us. She kept her promise to us and did sign over rights to her baby, I have to keep my promise to her to update her as we agreed. Unless she tells me she no longer wishes to receive updates, I plan on sending them regularly. I have had a couple people in my family say that I should not send a really cute picture of her, try to send one where she doesn't look so good! OK first of all, she looks beautiful in every picture, second of all, it doesn't matter. No matter what, the consent she signed is irrevocable. She's all ours-forever!

I will type the letter (my handwriting stinks) and enclose three or so pictures. I am going to make the majority of the letter be an update on her growth, height, weight and things she is learning to do. I will then send it to her lawyer who will call her and let her know to pick it up. I hope she likes it and that it doesn't make her feel bad in any way.

I guess it will get easier after the first update. I really hope it makes her feel good and that she treasures the information and pictures I am sending. We are so grateful for the gift of our daughter. A stranger we met by chance did something for us that nobody else could do, not my sister or my best friend. How do you ever, ever thank someone who had given you the gift of a beautiful baby? Keep your promise to her. Send updates as planned. I think of her and pray for her every single day-I promised her that too and every day I keep that promise.

1 comment:

Colette said...

What a great post! I feel the same way! I am sure the first letter will be a little hard, but it is worth keeping the promise we have made! She is beautiful! I hope to have a NY summitt someday out that way or in the middle! Hugs and Blessings... I love those late night feedings. he is so peaceful!