Thursday, August 09, 2007

I have the Career blues...

I was layed off at the end of April with lots of severence and just started unemployment. I had a good job as a systems analyst with a major corporation just two miles from my house. Good benefits, no money on gas and I could even wear jeans. The work wasn't challenging, but I wasn't going anywhere. I have been layed off from the IT field twice in the last five years, both from major corporations who could have the work done cheaper in other parts of the country or outside the country all together.

Now I am unsure what to do with my career. It's unlikely that I will find a job less than 1/2 hour from home. I will have to pay out at least $2000 a month in daycare and drive to two different daycare everyday. After daycare, lunch, gas and wear and tear on the car, I will be lucky to make $500 a month. My older daughter is in preschool and I have to send her no matter what, so I am down $800 a month either way.

I am going to stay home at least until my unemployment ends. I don't know if I should just stay home to my older daughter goes to first grade (two years away!) Kindergarten here is 1/2 day and you have to pay $500 a child to go the other half of the day. I am going a little crazy home, but hate to put the baby in daycare at an early age. I also feel like I should go into a new field completely and forget about a future in IT. I really have no desire to sit in an office from 9-5 anymore.
I've been doing that since I was 23.

I am taking a notary class and will take the test in September. I want to take a class on loan closing. I would like to work freelance as a loan closer and maybe start a mobile notary business. I am going to give it a try, but if it doesn't bring in the money I had hoped, I don't know what my next move is. As a loan closer, I wouldn't have to put the baby in daycare, I can have family watch her a few hours here and there. I have lots of connections in the mortgage business, but I worry about the housing market and interest rates and how that can determine my success. I guess I will give it a try, I just don't have plan B in my head and that worries me.

1 comment:

OHN said...

Hi..I just popped over from Colettes blog and wanted to say hi. I took the plunge and started my own business and while at times it can be a bit unsettling, for the most part it is wonderful. If you have any questions about some of the things that you may not have thought of, please feel free to ask me. I have been self employed for about 9 years now and have been through pretty much all the ups and downs :)