Monday, September 04, 2006

Fun at the US Open

Last night we went to the US Open in Flushing Meadow, Queens, NY. It is now called the Billie Jean King tennis center. We went to the night session, so we did not get to see Agassi finish out his carreer, but we did see Maria Sharapova play as well as James Blake (a New Yorker). I love going to the Open and have gone every year for the past 10 years.

OK it costed of $13 to park and food is outrageously expensive, but it is an experience. I wanted to buy my daughter a sweatshirt, but could not justify the $44 on a size 4t sweatshirt. A melting pot of New Yorkers coming together with many forgeign visitors. You can listen to conversation and here almost every language spoken. The people are unusually friendly. They will take a picture if you ask (and not steal the camera) or let y
ou look in their binoculars, if they overhear you can't see the players.

I always loved Agassi, a great player and humble athlete. We are the same age and 20 years ago, I thought he was quite the cutie with his long hair. We've watched him shed his youth, and mature into a husband and father right before our eyes. I wish I could have been at that session. The rain played havoc with the scheduling, but lots of great tennis was played.
Sharapova is tall in person (over 6 feet) and men constantly yell out things like "Marry me Maria" while she plays. She always signs a few balls and hits them into the crowd when she finishes a match. Although she is from Siberia, Russia-she speaks perfect English with barely a hint of an accent. Blake loves playing in New York and you can tell. He hails from Yonkers, NY which is halfway between where I live and the tennis center.

The support he had was incredible.
For the first time I did take pictures. I love the US Open grounds, which is the site of the 1964 World's Fair that my parents and inlaws always talk about going to. Here are a few pictures, they did not come out great because it was night time.

No comments: