Sunday, April 29, 2007

A victim of corporate downsizing (again)

So on Friday, I became another victim of corporate downsizing. Yes I was layed off. I did get a nice severence package, but still it's not what I wanted. I was going to get $5,000 adoption assistance from this company and it was VERY close to my house.

This is the 2nd time in five years I have been layed off by a corporate downsizing. It stinks. You go to college, get educated, find a good job, only to spend your days worrying about when you will meet the grim reaper. I guess I am lucky, I think in the future, corporations will be offering little or no severence. Rumor has it that our company was going to discontinue severence in 2008.

I am fine with it. It was hard to say goodbye to dozens of people and pack my desk in a matter of hours, but I did it and I am really fine with it. I hope to focus on decluttering my house and spending more time with our daughter. I can also focus on adoption related activities as well. I was rather burned out and really can use a break.

I feel like I have been given a ticket to freedom. I think I will try my hand at my own home business (maybe ebay?) and hope to me my own boss soon, doing what I want to do.

2 comments:

KRISTI said...

Oh boy. I'm so sorry.

Colette said...

I am sorry this happened to you. I have been there and it isn't fun! So enjoy your time home and I hope you are able start an at home business! Hugs