Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Rip off at the local car dealer!

My husband has a 2001 Nissan Altima, which he loves. We never had problems with the car and want it to last as long as possible, since we are really not in a position to buy another car. Anyway, last week I went to drive his car and could not move the seat forward. The power seat would move up and down and the back adjusted, but not forwards or backwards.

Since I am 6 inches shorter then he is, there is no way I could reach the pedal. His car greats great mileage and I was really bummed that I would not be able to drive it. We brought it to our local dealer that services Nissans-Curry automall in Cortlandt Manor, NY. They call us a few hours later and tell us it's going to be (hold on to your seat) $1700 to repair! They have to remove the seat, the frame, replace the whole mechanism etc. I was expected $300, even $400. I was so upset.

I went online and started to research the problem and other people reported the same problem with 2001 Pathfinders. They had luck by taking a wrench or screwdriver and hitting the motor under the driver's seat. I tried that yesterday with a hammer. I hit it a few times, harder each time. The seat moved a bit forward, but then stopped. I didn't think I was successful. I got in my husband's car today with a pillow to attempt to try to reach the pedals. I pressed the power button seat forward just for the hell of it. It worked!!! I moved it forward and backwards a few times today and it worked!!! I can't tell you how happy I am to not have to have the car repaired!

I am also very disappointed at how ridiculous the car dealer was when it came to estimating the repair and damage. Maybe they were going to hit the motor box with a hammer and charge me $1700 or maybe they are just stupid. Shame on you Curry Automall!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.