Thursday, August 03, 2006

Pirates!!!!

We saw Pirates of the Caribbean 2 Monday night. It was pretty good. It did not feel like 2 1/2 hours. Most of the movie took place in darkness which I find hard to see on the screen. I haven't LIKED Johnny Depp since the Original Nightmare on Elm Street, but I have to say he does play a good pirate (and he looked good too). The movie did not provide any sense of closure at the end and just invited you to wait for the next installment. I wanted answers-I wanted the truth-I guess I could not handle the truth. Very entertaining though. I would really like to go to Disney World in Florida and see the revamped Pirates of the Caribbean ride!

On a side note, best friend found out her cushy coporate job is being dissolved, so in a few months she is out of a job unless she can find something else. She works part time and doesn't want to go to full time-which limits her. 300 people in the building were affected and all that don't want to relocate or are facing the ax are scrambling for the few jobs within the company. Sounds like a cheap easy way to downsize to me. Offer people relocation thousands of miles away knowing 75% won't take the offer. I got laid off from the same company in 2002, I was pregnant and frantic and she told me I was overreacting. Guess who is frantic now, not knowing how she would pay the bills without her job. She sound very down and I told her she is going to have to step up and get positive or she WON'T find another job in the company and will really be screwed. She is thinking of relocating if she is offered the option, just to stay in the company. She is throwing out all kinds of crazy ideas-moving here, moving there. What about her older daughter in school? Leaving her parents? Leaving her friends? Etc.

Crazy to rip up your life to follow a job. It's just a job. She is talented and can find another one for about the same pay. I turned down a relocation to the same city in 1996. Of the 20% that took the deal, EVERY SINGLE one of them came back to NY in two years. They did not like it there and missed their families. I hope another job there pans out for her and she does have a few very promising contacts. I don't want to see her move away, but it's funny how dead serious it is when it happens to her and when it happened to me I was overreacting! Gheesh-double standard you think. In spite of being pregnant and only having 30 days notice, I got my resume together ASAP and started networking and applying. No time to waste.

I did not find a job and really stopped looking when I got laid off. My pregnancy for my daughter was difficult, but she turned out just fine. Lots of people say-everything happens for a reason and I believe it. I got laid off to rest so that my precious miracle daughter would be born OK.
I look back and am happy to have gotten laid off (with severence too!) My daughter means more to me than any job! I had a new job all lined up really-my new title was MOMMY!

No comments: